27 March 2008

Give a little bit. (Give a little bit of your love to me)

Sororities always talk about how they’re about more than just drunk nights with frat boys and dressing like they’re straight off of the “what’s hot” page. Sometimes this is a blatant lie. Other times it is absolutely true. I mean, it’s not all just about keeping up appearances, sometimes we sorority girls enjoy doing good things for the community (and not just for recognition in our local papers and national newsletters). Yes, some of us really just get into the spirit of giving because it’s not only the right the thing to do, we know it’s actually something really great to do. Because we know that not everyone is fortunate to live the lives we live and so we work hard to help others out when we get the chance.

That said, I’m taking on the mother of all philanthropic projects. Sure I volunteer EVERY Saturday morning in the District for a few hours (again, no exaggeration, I really do this), but this project takes the cake of my commitment level to things. I’m going to participate in the Breast Cancer 3-Day in October.

In case you’ve not heard of it, it’s 3 days long and 60 miles of walking. I know, it sounds crazy, but this whole thing was my idea. Imagine that.

But really it means something to me and I really think it’s something more people should get behind. Especially women. The only catch? You HAVE to raise $2,200 to participate. Or at least that’s a catch for all my friends I ask to do it with me. But think about it, who wouldn’t support you for at least $10-20 if you tell them you’re walking 60 whole miles in 3 days? I know I’d be hard-pressed to say no. So I’m banking on that as I start to solicit those around me.

And in hopes to amp up the challenge, I’m pledging $30,000 because I know my co-workers alone will each give me a few thousand. I don’t say that in a boastful way (that’s far the class I like to show), but rather to assert to the world that I’m going all in here and I will bug every last person in the District before October 3rd if I have to in order to reach my goal.

See, I’m not at all what you think of me. OK, not totally anyway.

*Oh and in case you were wanting to try the B-Relaxed Vitamin Water (jackfruit-guava) – don’t. I’m a huge VW fan, but not of this one. It just doesn’t do it for me.

2 comments:

Capitol Hill 20210 said...

Good luck raising the money....I would love to join in on the walk.

Ditsy Chick said...

I did the 3 day here in Arizona a couple of years ago. It was so much fun. I trained with some amazing women and the whole thing was eye opening. Enjoy!